Breasts are common part in all the females, but as a result of hormonal disorder many a times males end up having the breast. This is quite uncommon as well as hard to believe, but true. Gynecomastia is nothing but the development of breast tissues in men. This can occur at any stage that is puberty, infancy, in old age or middle age. The Gynecomastia is quite different from lipomastia or pseudogynecomastia, which is an accumulation of fat in breast area in males. Many a timethis fat accumulation also boosts up the boobs but this cannot be referred to as Gynecomastia.
Thanks to Gynexin World for allowing use of the above image.
Cause which lead to Gynecomastia
The reason for Gynecomastia differs in different aged men. Some of the reasons as per age are listed below –
- In adults – consumption of alcohol, heroin, marijuana etc. may lead to the development of boobs in adults. In addition to this, certain conditions such as cirrhosis, lung cancer, liver cancer overactive thyroid etc. can also be the reason behind Gynecomastia in males.
- In teen age boys – at puberty certain hormonal changes takes place both in males and females which may or may not lead to health problems.Hence as a result of puberty changes boobs get enhanced in boys.It generally goes away in a period of six months to two years.
- Preteen boys – in case of pre teen boys Gynecomastia is a result of a tumor that produces estrogen. Remember that it is common to have breast buds during puberty, but it goes away with in the time span of a year or a two.
- Newborns or infant – Gynecomastia in newborns is a result of estrogen which is present in mother.
- In addition to the causes listed above, the intake of various medicines and drugs can also result in Gynecomastia.
Treatment or cure for Gynecomastia
In most of the cases especially in case of teen and pre-teen boys no treatment is required as the boobs go away with time, as with the passage of the time the hormone level comes back to the normal.When Gynecomastia occurs as a result consumption of certain drug or medicine, then stopping the consumption of the same is one of the best ways to treat the problem. But many a times when there is too much development of the boobs or when the boobs last for a longer period of time, then surgery is taken for overcoming the problem.